Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Spicy Treasure Right Here in DC

Today I checked out the new Union Market in DC to see what all the fuss is about. The New York Times just named the market one of the 46 Places to Go in 2013.

The market is filled with fun treats like local farm-fresh produce, cheese and meat, smoked fish... But the real jewel for anyone who loves cooking, baking, preserving, or pickling is Bazaar Spices.  I have been waiting for a place like this to come to the district!

Monica Grover-Fitzgerald and her husband Ivan own the small boutique spice shop and offer spices from all over the world. Hungarian Paprika, Fresh cardamom pods, turmeric root (I had never seen the actual root), and over a dozen salts in every color of the rainbow.  The spice shop had spice blends from India, Ethiopia, Turkey, and all across the Middle East.  All around were jars with "smell me" written on them.  Very Alice in Wonderland and very fun. For someone like me, who comes home from traveling with suitcases reeking of spice, this was a little slice of heaven.

Monica surrounded by her spices
Smelling the spices really gives you a sense of the quality. Their cinnamon almost knocked me over!


I am well aware of the fact that I have not blogged (or pickled) in quite some time... so I bought some of their pickling spice mix to inspire me, as well as a lovely pepper I had never heard of called Urfa, which promised me a raisin-like smoky flavor perfect for kebobs.

The boutique is offering fun events like a salt tasting and a Valentine's day introduction to aphrodisiac spices... Glad to have this addition to the District. Check it out!












No comments:

Post a Comment